Monday, June 18, 2007

Two To Go

What is it that keeps drawing me back?

I only want to be in Italy whenever I am not there. There must be something special about being back in the place where you were conceived. Maybe the little cells, swimming frantically in the race for the giant ovum, will stop and take a look around. “Wow, this is nice,” says the winner. “We must come back.”

I can’t explain it. When I'm in Florence I feel at home, even though I’ve never truly lived there.

This time it’s even more special because I am going with my son. I was sixteen the first time I went to Florence with my parents. After college, when I returned on my own, I learned to love the city. I became a grown-up among the towers, piazzas, and sidewalk cafes.

Now, at sixteen, Adam is coming to Florence with me. It’s my job to show him the city, to let him feel the rhythm of Italian life.

Today we board the plane for a good 20 hours of traveling, and I'm not even upset because I know what’s waiting at the other end.

Follow along, day by day through the trip, 2 weeks after the fact. It will be great! Excitement! (Six different airports, all with their own customs agents!) Fun! (Biking in Italy.) Danger! (Biking behind Adam.) Romance! (Well, not so much for me. Maybe for Adam.)

Maybe those little cells knew what they were doing after all.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Just a glimpse of the striped monster but she is beautiful