Thursday, June 28, 2007

Bye Bikes

Early breakfast today, because we have to be packed and ready to go to Rome.

Hard to say goodbye to friends, even brand new friends. You get pretty close when you share so much in a short time. It’s hard to see it end.

For me, it’s worse because I always get so emotional when I am getting ready to leave this country. Italy really messes with my head. Part of me always wants to stay. Emotions come bubbling up to the surface, and it’s hard to keep my cool. I'm such a girl.

We’re leaving the Malos, Pat and kids, behind. They get another day in Montebelli, and then another week in Cinque Torre. The coast is beautiful. They won’t be disappointed. Then Pamela is off for parts unknown, maybe Croatia, maybe India, Africa – who knows? The girl has the wanderlust. She really is a citizen of the world.

The rest of us board the minibus for the trip to Rome, where we will be met by Franz, VBT Roma division. Think Barney Fife, only more nervous, with an Arnold Austrian accent. His job is to help us settle in. Adam and I decide to join the Osters and the sisters on his six-hour walking tour of Rome, which BEGINS IN FOUR MINUTES WHERE ARE THE OTHERS WE MUST LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.

I know, I know – Rome wasn’t built in a day, but a lot of it could have been completed during this tour. All interesting, all beautiful, all historic, but just too much. At one point during one of the longer speeches I look at Bessie, and we both go, “What? I have no idea what he has been saying for the last ten minutes.” Adam filled us in. Luckily, he was paying attention.

Dinner happens in the first place we find, and then back to the hotel. Although it’s late, we hang out in the hotel bar, telling stories about the other people and saying our goodbyes.

No comments: