Friday, June 29, 2007

Long Ride Home


I knew I would have fun. Biking in Italy is the best.

You head off on your bike in the morning. Stop for cappuccino in some small town, then back on the bike for more beautiful scenery. Visit a 900 year-old church, have more coffee. Bike to lunch in a picturesque bar in a quaint town. Rest in a tree-lined piazza. Bike uphill to an ancient hill town, have gelato and coast back to the hotel for a dip in the pool before a fabulous dinner. I knew I would love it.

But at some point it becomes as much about the people as the place. I think we were lucky. We just got in with a terrific group.

On a trip like this you share a lot in a short time, which makes the experience more intense. Friendships bloom, connections are made, attachments are formed. It’s powerful stuff.

And, eventually, it’s how you remember the week. In your mind, these people will always be part of Tuscany. That's an honor.

And that's what I'm thinking about as we travel 20 hours on four flights out of three different countries to make it back home again.

No comments: